One of the SCS's primary responsibilities is to provide high-quality statistical research capabilities on both the academic and administrative sides of OSU. When working with faculty, our goal is to become a collaborator. In contrast to a consultant, a collaborator works to fully understand the context of your research and provide guidance on getting the most out of your resources. We typically work with researchers to accomplish the following goals:
- Identify clear research questions that can be answered quantitatively
- Establish a sampling/experimental plan that will provide enough power to support or refute research hypotheses
- Suggest additional research questions that can be addressed by collected data
- Perform statistical analyses
- Assist in presentation of quantitative findings, either in publications or for delivery at conferences
Our work with OSU staff follows a similar format, although the end product is more frequently a technical report describing the findings and making recommendations for action.
Our process starts with getting your project to the right consultant. Since each of our consultants has unique areas of statistical expertise and different levels of experience in various areas of application, it's important for us to know a little bit about your project right away. Start by filling out our service request form, or, if you aren't sure you're ready for that step or are unsure how to answer some of the questions, feel free to give us a call. You can reach Barb Wohlever, our Business Manager, at (614) 292-1529.
Within 2 business days of receiving your request, you'll be contacted by the assigned consultant, who will set up an initial meeting. On all but the smallest projects (those with less than 5 hours of work in a full year), there is no charge for the initial meeting. During that meeting, the consultant will discuss the project with you to gain an understanding of the following:
- project background,
- the goals of the project,
- the role the consultant will play,
- the time and cost limitations of the project,
- and any other technical details.
From the consultant's perspective, the goal of this meeting is to collect enough information to write a scope of work and a cost proposal.
Next, you'll get a proposal from the consultant describing his understanding of the project, the technical details of the project, the projected cost, and the deliverables for the project. Most SCS work is billed on a dollar-per-hour basis with a not-to-exceed amount established in the proposal, but projects are occasionally set up on a fixed price basis.
Once you've approved the proposal and contract, we can get to work.
The SCS is an earnings unit and receives no financial support from the university. As a result, all work is performed on a cost-recovery basis, billed at an hourly rate. The rates charged by the SCS vary according to the individual performing the work and the total size of the project.
The following are our rates for OSU faculty and staff:
- Director and Senior Consultant (Ph.D.-level): $195/hour
- Junior Consultant (M.S.-level): $125/hour
- Business Manager: $50/hour
- Data Entry Specialist: $15/hour
For very large projects, the SCS offers discounted rates. In addition, it is possible to hire a statistics graduate student for an entire semester (330 hours in fall or spring) at a rate of $65/hour ($21,450).